Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Thanksgiving in Oakland 2014

This Thanksgiving my babygirl I had the opportunity to visit my one and only sister and nephew in Oakland. She moved there two years ago and I hadn't been up to see her. Thanksgiving seemed like the perfect time for a reunion at her place.

All that I have ever heard about Oakland has been filled with negativity. I seemed like a downright frightening place to visit. Just across the bay from it's affluent neighbor San Francisco, Oakland always seemed to be a cast off with it's violent reputation for rioting and crime. I learned that the media does a fantastic job of only showing the negative and not expounding on the positive at all.

My sister lives in a quaint area just a couple of blocks away from Lake Merritt. Filled with quaint shops and eateries, a local farmer's market, a botanical gardens and a gorgeous old school movie theater, I felt a strong sense of community and was right at home. Here are some of my favorite memories of our time there.




















Photo credit: Tami Briggs and Tamia Dolley

No comments:

Post a Comment