Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Workspace: Painting the Walls


Welcome back! Today we are going to paint my wonderful little workspace. I am beyond excited to get started. So, as you may recall this little area was a former closet. It is in my living room area but since we rarely use the television in our home, it should be a perfect place for me to turn my back to the activity of my home and focus on the work at hand. If this is your first visit and you want to know more about this process, feel free to review the posts on my Color Palette and Paint 101.


OK, are you ready? Let's get this party started!

Materials {found at Home Depot}:

Pour your paint into the paint tray.Only fill your tray about half full because the space on the top with the ridges is to squeeze the excess paint out of your rollers and brushes.

PREP TIME:
As I stated before, I am painting inside of a former closet. However, if I were painting a room, I would need to remove the plates from all light switches and electrical outlets. I would also need to remove any lighting fixtures.


1. DUSTING - You want to be sure the walls are free from dust particles and cobwebs. Anything remaining on your walls will inevitably be painted over, which may lead to unsightly bumps and creases in your paint job. Because I live in Southern California, we always have spiders. And with spiders come cobwebs, therefore, I purchased this duster to wipe away the cobwebs that seem to appear in the corners of my home all of the time.



2. TAPING - Next is taping. This can sometimes be the most tedious of jobs because you want to be sure your taping is straight and also well adhered to the wall and border you are protecting so that your paint doesn't leak through. I generally work with strips that are no longer than 12-inches in length because they are easier to line up properly. Be sure to cover all borders and tape the corners on the wall you will not be painting.

PAINTING THE WALLS:


First things first, place your drop cloth on the floor. Trust me, no matter how careful you are, it is very likely you will drop paint on the floor. It happens.


I very rarely paint the ceiling but if I were to do so, it would be the first task. Because I am using such a dark colored paint coupled with the fact that this area gets very little light, I chose to keep the ceiling the white color it currently is. When I place my lighting options in this area, I want the light to reflect back down to illuminate this space. {Trust me, honey, it needs all the help it can get}.

If you are painting the ceiling, you pretty much go about it the same way as painting the walls except you will need to purchase an extension pole to add to your paint roller and a two-step ladder for the borders. Unless you are Shaq, you will need the ladder and the extension pole. How else will you reach it?



3. BORDERS - You want to start out by painting the borders using either a brush or an edger. I prefer a brush because I am very particular about coverage and with a brush I can get in there and make sure it is completely colored in.



4. THE W - Using your paint roller, roll out a "W" shape about 3-4 feet wide. This is the basic movement you will continue to use as you paint your wall. When you have completely painted a 4-foot square, move onto the next area and repeat. Continue on in this manner until you have full coverage that bleeds into your painted borders. Because I am painting with a very dark and saturated flat paint, I didn't need more than one coat. However, if you are painting a light color over a darker color, or you are painting with a sheen, you will more than likely need two coats of paint. This will ensure more coverage, less streaking and a more durable professional looking paint job.

NOTE: Be careful not to overload your roller with too much paint. Not only will it drip and run all over the place, but it can also clump up if your paint is fast drying. If you get any runs or clumps, be sure to wipe it immediately with a wet rag. 

5. TAPE REMOVAL - Once your paint is nearly dry (not all the way dry), you can pull off the tape. Did your paint bleed over? No worries, you can simply touch up your trim or borders with a bit of paint in your walls original color.


VOILA!!!
You are done! Or in this case, I am done! It's dark, but I love it. Once I add the lighting to this space, it will be just perfect. It really does make a difference compared to the before photos, doesn't it? Hard to tell in my grainy iPhone pics with poor lighting, but it is a delicious chocolate-y color using a flat paint. Wait until you see what else I have planned for this area!

xoxo ~tami

No comments:

Post a Comment