Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Workspace: Spray Painting My Desk


I have really grown to love Craigslist. It is a cornucopia of unwanted items. Every now and then you come across an unusual and perfect item. And that is exactly what happened when I found my table desk.


I needed a desk that could fit into the little workspace nook that I painted in my living room. And I wanted something that had enough surface for my laptop and a few desk accessories. I didn't care for drawers and it had to be made out of wood. I wanted something that could be painted white so it would really stand out and pop against the chocolate swirl paint that I added to my workspace.



So the hunt on Craigslist began. I had my eyes out for a table desk and that is when I found this beauty. It was only $25 and it was being sold very close to my home. If you have ever lived in or been to expansive LA, you will understand that proximity can make or break a good deal!


It was perfect. It had curvy legs in the Queen Anne style, some unique carvings on the legs and was being sold as an illusion table. It has the unique ability to look as it were coming out of the wall.


I brought this baby home, decided saw that it needed additional sanding before I could paint it white. So, what does a girl do? She heads out to visit her favorite DIY friend, Home Depot!


This was shaping up to be another inexpensive project. Between the actual desk and the supplies, this total came to $42.86. Not bad!


First things first, I needed to protect my area with a drop cloth. Then I sanded the surface to remove any polyurethane and to provide the paint something to grab once applied. Once I finished sanding, I used a tack cloth to remove any excess sand and sawdust. This is the best way to rid of any debris and provide your surface with a smooth finish for painting.



Then I needed to repair a split in the leg with wooden filler and allow it to set for at least 24 hours. Afterwards, I sanded it down to give it a smooth finish.


To ensure a successful painting job that resulted in a durable finish, the table desk was then covered with a layer of Rust-Oleum Primer. Now the table desk was ready for it's first coat of paint. I used a can of Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover spray paint. Be sure you are wearing a mask to protect you while you prime and paint your furniture.


I ended up putting four coats of paint before I was satisfied with the coverage. I love how the details stood out once I painted it white. And it looks really good in the space. As you can see below, there seems to be a little variation in shade on the top, but that simply the light bouncing off of the wood grain, creating shadows.

NOTE: In hindsight, I probably will not spray paint again. It was very messy and the toxins in the air were way too strong.


I am really starting to love this area so much! I can't wait to accessorize and add some lighting! Perhaps then my photos will come out a little better!


So...what do you think?


xoxo, tami

No comments:

Post a Comment