Tuesday, July 29, 2014

DIY A Year's Worth of Dry Laundry Detergent for $60 + Review

9/9/14 UPDATE: I made half a batch of this soap and we ran out within 2 months. We used more than the 2 tablespoons per load recommended. I think we were using at least 4 so we used twice as much. Meaning this should have lasted 4 months instead of 2. I think 2 tablespoons might be too little so we are meeting in the middle and decided to use 3 tablespoons and see how far it stretches out this next round. Yet and still, we do a lot of laundry in our home and were averaging at least $35 a month between commercial soap and fabric softener. Even at 2 months we are averaging about $15 a month which is a huge savings. Also, our old washing machine broke down on us. So we purchased a new LG High Efficiency Top Loader from Home Depot, which washes our clothes much better. Will provide another update when the second batch runs out.

A YEARS worth of Laundry Soap? Yeah right! Although the idea sounds awesome in theory, it was hard for me to get my mind wrapped around the concept! But I have been more than curious about the “dry” version of homemade laundry detergent that so many people are raving about. I've always wanted to try it so while I was on stay-cation this month, I figured it was a good time to give it a try. So I did!

I got the recipe from Liz Marie's blog, where she not only claims this is the most amazing soap ever, but also that it really did last her a year! WOW!

I continued to do my own research online and took the time to look up each of these ingredients to see how effective they are in cleaning laundry. When I was done with my research I was actually shocked at what I had discovered.  Reading all the materials on the ingredients for homemade laundry detergent made me feel confident to use it in my own home because I think any of these ingredients on their own would clean our clothes efficiently but when you add them all together they make an incredibly efficient detergent with maximum cleaning power for all types of water. And it's safe to use in standard machines or HE machines! YAY!

So here is what you will need:

Although you may be able to find these items in your local store, I prefer to take advantage of my Amazon Prime membership at every chance possible. Not only was I able to get these items with free shipping, some of them were at an incredibly low price as add-on items.

To start out, I grated the bars of soap. You are more than welcome to use a food processor but I decided to be all domesticalistic and do it using an old cheese grater I had in the kitchen. I would offer one tip though if you decide to use your food processor to “grate” your soap: add something else to the bowl to aid in the process like a cup of the Oxiclean to each bar when you process it. It will help the blades do their job better.
ANOTHER TIP: This makes a LOT of soap. So I found the easiest way to mix everything up was to toss it into a garbage bag, tie it off and toss it.  Now you have a boatload of soap they say that it will last a family of four at least a year.

Be sure to store your soap in air-tight containers. I picked up a couple of THESE from Amazon. I love that it has 4-locks.

When using the detergent, you'll want to start your washing machine, let it fill up a little with water, and then add your 2-3 tablespoons of detergent before adding your clothes. Keep in mind that this detergent will not suds up or bubble, but it will get your clothes so clean you won't believe your eyes. And with the Downy Unstopables, my clothes are smelling cleaner and better than they ever have before.

It can also be used in HE machines because it has no sudsing agent. If you have a high-efficiency machine, be sure to mix the detergent with a little hot water before adding to your machine's dispenser.

SIDE NOTE: We are a family of two...well, three if you count our puppy, Kai. I personally think we go through more than your average laundry because I wash everything all of the time, so I am not expecting this batch to last a full year. But based on my initial use and recommended amount of 2 tablespoons per load, it's going to last us a good long time.

BENEFITS:
{photo via askannamoseley.com}

I will do my best to check back in with you at a later date to update you on how long the detergent is lasting. If you have DIY'd your own detergent or are joining the bandwagon and are going to give this a try, please comment and let me know about your experience! 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment