Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Step 1: I'm Not a Girl {Babygirl's Room Design: The Game Plan}

We are up to or eyeballs with ideas over here as we dive deeper into creating a room design for the kid. I am sharing my approach to making this happen here in the hopes that you will also be inspired and see how this can be done on a budget. Plus, because I am not all that experienced in this, I may also have some fails to share along the way that we can all learn from. I plan to share step-by-step to make it easy to follow along, should you decide to jump in the water with us at some point in time.  From planning and organizing to sewing and crafting all the way to our finishing touches and the grand finale where you will get to check out the before and after.

You can find a complete list of the projects we plan to tackle here. I do hope you join me on this journey. It would be nice to know I am not alone!

Let me introduce you to the kid aka Babygirl.
{If you are concerned about the Scumbag t-shirt, don't be. Apparently this is the name of her favorite skater.}

She recently celebrated her 13th birthday and she will be entering the 8th grade this fall. She is the sweetest girl with the biggest heart. She loves her sisters more than anything. She is very independent, loves fashion and enjoys creating things with her hands. We just moved into a lovely house and the room that she took belonged to a girl who was around the same age as she was but did not have the same taste that she has. The walls are lime green and eggplant purple with black decals of  the Paris city skyline. Here is what it looks like:

Overall the room is in great condition. The ceiling fan is nice and she wants to keep that. I am so glad that her closet doors are white and newer in design. And her floors are a nice warm wood. I would have preferred a darker wood but we like them well enough to keep them. But she wants the room to be HER space. And since I believe you should love the space you live in, it is equally imperative for me that she has the room of her dreams.

I know you are ready for me to get to the game plan, so here we go. Some of you have seen the inspiration board she created in a previous post, but just in case you hadn't, here it is:
OVERALL
Since we've just moved in, we don't need to throw out anything. We did that before we packed up and moved. But before I begin to purchase and place any furniture or dress any windows, we need to change the wall color and reconfigure the closet. Once the walls are painted, we will then stencil the wall behind her bed as an accent. As I stated, she wants to keep the ceiling fan, which has a light, but we will be adding a floor lamp to the corner and another near her bed to soften the space. And I will be making some really lovely window treatments with a smocking detail.

THE DETAILS
I'll be taking on the daunting task of creating my version of a pricey, ruffly Anthro duvet cover and pillow shams. We will also design several cool throw pillows to add additional texture and paint a graphic rug for the floor to buffer any noise that would potentially bounce off the floors and vaulted ceiling. We'll be creating some really cool feather decor items. And she will get her own chair and ottoman to sit in and do homework or read her books, as well as some really nice inspirational prints for her wall.

Gosh almighty this is a big job but it is the first of many that I plan to tackle in my new home and I am excited to make it happen because my babygirl deserves this.

See you soon where I will talk about spatial planning for her pretty new room.

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment